Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Stewy


On my 15th birthday, September 14th, 1971, Stewart went to a novelty store in Oil City, Pennsylvania and purchased  my most memorable childhood birthday present.  He had it gift wrapped by the store and I was so happy that he had thought of me.  After all,  he was my big brother and this was the first occasion that he had picked out a gift especially for me.  It wasn't a present that mom had purchased and written Stewart's name on with her disguised handwriting skill.  This was a gift that was pure fun with no practicality involved.  

The gift was  intriguing because I had never seen anything like it.  It was a money grabber piggy bank toy. (see picture below)  
When you would put a coin in the slot, the box would tremble and then a hand would sneak out and quickly snatch up the penny.  I only used pennies because I only made 50 cents an hour babysitting.   This was a great novelty gift for my teenage mind.
I saw Stew just a few weeks ago.  He was lying in his hospital bed and we were having a light conversation about old memories.  Stew was trying to be brave.  His one liners were sparse but he managed to fight the pain and enjoy a few moments with his visiting sister.  I reminded him of his great gift to me on my 15th birthday.  He had no recollection of that money grabber piggy bank toy that remains so vivid in my mind.  

The gift summons up those good old childhood memories of days long passed. The days when we played hide and seek on Columbia Street, delivering newspapers, the family dogs, the neighborhood friends, driving in the car and screaming for ice cream,eating too much candy and pop at the corner store and then paying for it when we saw Dr. Cusik, swimming each summer, street hockey, ice hockey,  firecrackers in pop bottles, the reindeer at Wentworth Park, Louisbourg and the crashing waves and the list will continue on whenever I think of Stewart and his 15th birthday present to me..  
Thank you my brother for being a part of my life.  Until we meet again.
Love Shauna
This song is in memory of you Stew.

Stew and Shauna (1958)



1 comment:

Colleen said...

A great tribute to your brother and wonderful memories. I loved the song from Wicked in his honor. It has a great message. He was blessed to have you as a sister in his life. Thanks for calling me back today. It was good to talk to you again.