Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Maritime Girl's Very Good Granola Recipe


My daughter is asking for my granola recipe so here it is. I found this on the internet and then tweaked it a little to make it my own. ( Sweetened with honey, unsweetened applesauce and coconut).

Maritime Girl’s Very Good Granola Recipe

Makes about 2 pounds


I tweaked the recipe from davidlebovitz.com…/granola_recipe.html . I added a few things I had on hand and left out the brown sugar and rice syrup that his recipe had suggested. Of course you should do the same. I always double this recipe and it seems to work just as well. I usually use 3 jelly-roll pans for this doubled amount.


5 cups multi-grain flakes or old-fashioned rolled oats
3 cups almonds/walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup untoasted sesame seeds

1 cup flax seeds

1 cup bran flakes

1 cup shredded coconut

1cup raisins
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon dried ground ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt

Warm the following in a small saucepan:

3/4 cup (180g) unsweetened applesauce (or another unsweetened fruit puree)
1/2 cup (80g) honey
2 tablespoons vegetable oil


Preheat the oven to 300F.


1. In a very large bowl, mix together the flaked grains or oats, almonds, sunflower and sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.


2. In a small saucepan, warm the fruit puree with the honey, and oil.


3. Mix the fruit mixture into the dry ingredients until thoroughly moistened, then divide and spread the mixture evenly on two baking sheets.

4. Bake the granola for about 45 minutes, stirring every ten minutes, until the granola is deep golden brown.


5. Remove from oven, and then cool completely.


Store the granola in a large, airtight container. It will keep for up to one month.
I have never had it last that long!!! Enjoy.

No comments: