Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Date With The Swimming Pool

This past Monday I made my way to the local swimming pool for my usual 1/2 hour of pure relaxation. I found an open lane and instead of going down the stairs and swimming over to the lane I decided to jump in.
That was the moment where my intelligence left my mature mind. I plunged into the water and shot like a bullet to the bottom of the pool, slamming my R foot into the concrete bottom. My first thought was that I had just done something really stupid. The pain in my entire R leg made this a reality and not just a thought.
I'll just swim around for a while and shake off the pain I said to myself. That worked for about 20 minutes but then the pain never left and I had to face the fact that I couldn't stay in the pool forever. Somehow I would have to get out of the pool and let go of my pride.
With the help of some very professional lifeguards I was able to get to the dressing room and then out to my car. Whew, I felt like I had just completed a marathon. Not that I know what that feels like but anyway, I made it home.
Now I had to get inside without putting any weight on my foot. You guessed it. I crawled across the garage floor and up the two steps into my laundry room and then found some old crutches that had been collecting dust for several years. Yeah, that modern invention made life so much better.
I am now recovering from an injured foot. Diagnosis. Bruised heel that was slammed against concrete. I'm not sure what the real label is but it should be better in about 6-8 weeks I hope.
It was an adventuresome day and I was so grateful for several things.
1. I only injured 1 foot.
2. Experienced lifeguards (one was a mechanical engineer that had recently been layed off from her job and was lifeguarding to pay the bills)
3.The ability to crawl like a baby. This can be a great way to get around when the legs aren't functioning.
4. Crutches.
More later on my gratitude.

5 comments:

m2d said...

hope you are feeling better soon mom. love you. casi

Maritime Girl said...

so much better today!

m2d said...

so glad you are feeling better. thanks for the note in the mail.

Colleen Stutz said...

Sounds like you had quite a swimming adventure. I am glad it wasn't broken and hopefully it will heal up fast. You are amazing - I don't know if I could have crawled through the garage.

Heather and Don said...

So sorry, Shauna - I told Carmen about it today, and she is so concerned as she remembers well what a bruised bone feels like! Next time, call me, and I will carry you into your home!