Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mother Dear I Love You So Part 1


My mother was a pioneer in many ways. By the time I was a preteen I saw her take on an amazing act of courage. She sold most of her treasured belongings, new 67 VW Beetle, fur coat, handmade picnic table and paid for home to make the trek from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia to Southern California.

She traveled in the old blue station wagon with her entire family (7 people all together) to the foreign land of S. California. She was close to Disneyland, Hollywood, shopping malls and freeways galore. Everything that was so opposite of her Maritime life. How did she do this I often wonder. She was 48 years old and moving can be about as stressful as anything in your life. I am sure she had questions. Did we do the right thing? Will the kids be happy in their new home? Will I make frieinds? Will Bill like his new job?

She made the jump and we were on our way as a family to our new home. Scary, exciting, fascinating.

I am amazed at her courage. I lived through this time with her and I know that she was challenged. She missed the old gravel roads that led to the barren countryside and had to make due with small creeks that she somehow explored with my little brother and me. She disliked the cement walls that divided everyones property but found joy in exploring the weekly auctions in Chino, California with her new friend Martha Frazier.

One week when I came home from school I found a new multi-colored coat that

1 comment:

m2d said...

what a nice tribute to Grandma Dodson. I am excited to read more. casi