Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother Dear I Love You So Part 4



He informed that mom had a terrible accident in our backyard and was in the hospital. She had a broken nose and eye socket and when I saw her later that evening it looked like she had been hit with a baseball bat. I later recognized that same injured face when I cared for women in the hospital that had undergone face lifts. ( I don't recommend these)

We never knew the cause for that accident because mom suffered amnesia in regards to the episode. We speculated that she tripped over her bathrobe while feeding our pet rabbits and fell right on her face. She endured the surgery well and was healthy enough to make an appearance at Heather and Tom's wedding a few weeks later. Thanks goodness for sunglasses to hide the bruising. I thought she looked as pretty as ever with her new eye socket and fixed nose.

She only had to be in California for three years but I will always remember those special times that I shared with my mother in the land of quakes, fires, floods, smog, sunshine,thrift stores, auctions and orange groves. She was a true mentor to me and showed me how to keep going when life takes us down a difficult path.

She moved to Pennsylvania in that same old blue station wagon with her downsized family. Another act of courage, another story to tell.
(TO BE CONTINUED)

1 comment:

m2d said...

i am ready for more already.