Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mother Dear I Love You So Part 2

(The same coat 40 years later. Just add a few stripes in your imagination)

One week when I came home from school I found a new multi-colored coat that she had found at the Chino swap meet. It was beautiful and I was always so thrilled at her kindness and generosity towards me. She was always thinking of everyone but herself. I have always admired that about her. The coat was velor and was mostly red with thin stripes of yellow, orange and green. She loved to find deals and quickly developed a long standing love for second hand stores and the plethora of clothing that people were so quickly willing to cast off. I think that second hand store love has eagerly been adopted my most of my children. They know who they are so I won't name names.


My older brothers bought tickets for my parents to attend the Hollywood Bowl and see Jose Feliciano. I know they must have been out of their comfort zone to be at such an event. She remarked at how it was outside and under the stars. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall and just see their reactions.


Each year that she lived in California became a little easier. She was quickly introducing us to casseroles, tacos, fresh strawberries and McDonald's hamburgers. There were foods that we never were exposed to in the preCalifornia years.


One summer day we ventured across the border to Tijuana, Mexico. That was an experience. My parents were so

1 comment:

m2d said...

you having me hanging on the edge of my chair. write more soon. i want to know what happens. casi